Monday 12 March 2007

Style Consultants ...

There's a strange modern phenomenon; the style consultant. A bit like the interior designer and the wedding planner. Their sole function in life is to tell us that we are totally inadequate at thinking for ourselves and that we can't manage a particular area of our lives without them; certainly for those that have more money than sense.

I have this antagonism towards the fashion industry anyway. My wife constantly tells me I have no fashion sense, but what is fashion? Why is brown this year's green? Who gives a stuff? Wear what you like and just be comfortable. Fashion is just another big con ( see my Modern Art post ).

The truth is that if all these consultants suddenly disappeared off the face of the planet, the world would still revolve, life would carry on as normal, and they wouldn't be missed at all.

Q: How many style consultants does it take to change a lightbulb.
A: I don't think you can ever change a lightbulb. They are very set in what their position is in life and their role, and although they can be very illuminating on a lot of subjects they are just very set in their ways. I did take one out once. Cinema, meal and nightclub; but I found it to be very dull outside the comfort of its own environment.

No comments: