Thursday 29 March 2007

Magicians ...

Magic is a hobby of mine and has been for a number of years now. I suppose it just started with a natural curiosity to find out how tricks were done, but as I started buying books and learning to perform effects I started to come up with my own. I've actually veered more to the mentalism side because that appealed to me more than the more conventional vanishes, transformations and levitations.

Over time I've built up a small collection of books on mentalism ( frightening if I add up the cost ) and because I enjoy solving puzzles I love to read and re-read these fascinating works and try and devise my own handling or method. Derren Brown has brought even more attention to this area of magic and my wife actually had the pleasure of being up on stage with him when he came to Norwich. My birthday treat and she gets to help out. Superb entertainment and a consumate professional. Derren Brown was good as well.

Q: How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: One to actually change it, probably into a Bengal tiger with the bulb lit up inside it, but then several more will debate the method, others will claim it's their effect, still more will announce their own version to feature in their forthcoming publication, while others will make futile posts on magic forum asking for the method.

No comments: