Tuesday 20 March 2007

Clowns ...

I'm afraid I've never seen the funny side of clowns. Whenever I've watched a circus and the clowns have come on to do their thing, it's just left me cold. Which is strange, because I have a varied taste in humour and I enjoy the occasional bit of slapstick.

Then again I was also never impressed with Charlie Chaplin. Loved Laurel and Hardy and always found them so much more amusing. Chaplin, for all his skill and agility just didn't hit the funny bone at all. I can't say it is an age thing because clowning around never appealed to me as a child, either going to the Hippodrome Circus in Great Yarmouth, or watching Billy Smart's Circus at Christmas on TV.

I suppose that's it. You love 'em or you hate 'em. Just no in between with clowns.

Q: How many clowns does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: Usually about five plus an exploding car. Lots of problems getting a ladder in place, people getting squirted with water, custard pies, elastic braces, oh and watch out for that plank of wood!

No comments: