Friday 2 March 2007

Help Desk Staff ...

I usually blog early morning, but today there was so much else going on I've had to leave it until now; approximately twenty past eight this Friday night. As well as programming for a living I also support the product I create and today there were a few more enquiries than usual.

I'm pleased to say it's usually not about program failure but more about transferring the program to another PC or Users forgetting how to carry out certain tasks. I've spent a long time in the service industry so I am remarkably patient with Customers no matter what the problem. I always remember how I felt when I got my first PC and was learning how to operate it. As you get to know Customers you understand their levels of competency and guide them accordingly. For some it will never be simple because they just don't have an aptitude for anything related to the computer. It's easy for some technical wizards to forget that.

Q: How many Help Desk staff does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None, because you will have to do this yourself. Now, are you standing underneath the bulb? OK, let me know when you're in position. Yes it's that round thing hanging from the ceiling. No, don't touch it yet. Oh, you have. Was it very hot?

No comments: