Tuesday 13 March 2007

Glam Rock Fans ...

How music has changed in half a century. My first introduction to music being played at home was listening to 78's on a wind up gramaphone. In my teens I began to collect singles and LP's for myself, as well as recording 'pop' music from the radio on to a reel to reel tape recorder.

Now my daughter has a huge amount of music stored on an MP3 player no bigger than a keyring. How much longer before we dispense with buying CD's altogether and simply rely on downloading what we want? And what's next? We've had 78's, Vinyl, reel to reel magnetic tape, cassette tape, 8-Track ( anyone still got an 8-track? ), laser disc, CD's, DVD's, iPods and MP3's.

Funnily enough, I still have a sizeable vinyl collection of mainly 70's LP's and there's always great pleasure in rediscovering tracks I first listened to all those years ago. For listening to music at home I'm still happy with an old fashioned record player.

Q: How many glam rock fans does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None, because they just love The Darkness.

No comments: