Wednesday 14 March 2007

Ninja ...

For diversion I occasionally wander at random through Wikipedia. If you've never visited this online repository of anything and everything the do yourself a favour, take half an hour out and give it a look. It's a collaborative effort and because of the sheer size of the undertaking there is always help required. It is an extraordinary site by any standards, but simply invaluable as a reference tool.

I was foraging today and found this under Ninja:

A ninja may have been an assassin or spy in Japanese culture, usually trained for stealth. Appearing in fourteenth century feudal Japan, and active from the Kamakura to the Edo period, their roles may have included sabotage, espionage, scouting, and assassination missions, perhaps in the service of feudal rulers (daimyo or shogun). Since the art of stealth killing leaves no witness, the truth about ninja will likely remain hidden.

It then goes on to detail the history, culture, clothing and weapons of the Ninja. I was just looking for some reference material for another piece I was writing, but as I'd paused on that page I thought I might as well use it here.

Q: How many Ninja does it take to ... ah. Seems to be a new bulb in already, and no sign of the old one. Plus, the room was locked and the windows barred.

No comments: