Friday 30 March 2007

Doorstep Sellers ...

When I were a small lad we lived in shoe box ... No, we didn't actually, we lived in a chalet bungalow in a Suffolk village called Bramfield ( catch up with The Bramfieldian here ) which was a great place to grow up.

Doorstep calling didn't seem quite so rife as it does now, but I do remember a very polite Seikh gentleman who would knock on the door every few months or so, carrying a suitcase packed with household items such as brushes, dusters etc. I suppose it was easier to sell such items then in rural areas because we didn't have any supermarkets close by, just a couple of village shops. My Mother would generally buy something from our Seikh friend and say goodbye until the next time. The likes of Bettaware have reinvented the home selling market, but generally door to door selling is just so old hat now, not to mention extremely annoying. Doorsteps sellers now have the training and the trickery. "I'm not trying to sell you anything today" Yeah, right, on your bike!

I remember a great sign I saw once which I keep meaning to hang up outside the front door. "Every third doorstep seller is shot. The second one has just left."

Q: How many doorstep sellers does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: I can tell you now, countless surveys have shown we are top for changing lightbulbs. How much are you currently paying? We can save you at least 50% on your current bill. You don't have to do a thing, except sign here to say you'll think about it, and here, and just here.

No comments: