Sunday 25 March 2007

Cricketers ...

I've always loved watching cricket and when I was at school I always enjoyed playing it. Didn't have a huge talent with bat or ball, but made up for it with lots of enthusiasm.

My paternal grandfather was a big cricket fan and had played for his village team. The fact that he'd lost a leg during the First World War didn't stop him, and he went out to bat with a runner. ( For non cricket fans, he had someone else run between the wickets for him, but he faced the bowling )

He came to watch me once. I'd been persuaded to play for a town team by a friend and my family were there on a sunny Sunday afternoon. Sadly I went for a huge hit off the first ball and heard my stumps clatter. That was me back to the pavillion. My grandfather apparently was chatting to someone and missed my demise. It was back to watching the game after that.

Q: How many cricketers does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None, because bad light stops play.

No comments: