Friday 2 February 2007

NASA technicians ...

Where were you on 21st July 1969. Rather a philosophical question if you are under 38, but for the rest of us one of those seminal moments in history. While Neil Armstrong was taking that small step for (a) man, I was taking considerably more around the Suffolk countryside.

It was the tradition of my Grammar School that they organise a 50 mile walk near the end of the summer term. Yes, that's right, 50 miles! As a 16 year old sixth former I was eligible to undertake this rite of passage and set off about 8.00 o'clock in the evening from the school car park, aiming to return there sometime the following morning.

So let's just recap on this. Dozens of sixteen and seventeen year olds walking 50 miles along main roads and country lanes late at night. Those were the days. Forget about health and safety, just get out there and do it!

It was about midnight when I and my mate walking with me ( everyone was strung out along several miles by this time ) passed through the village where I lived. I was very tempted to wake my parents and call it a night, but decided to soldier on. I think I eventually had to retire about the 30 mile mark with swollen feet. By the time I was back at home, crashed out on the sofa, re-runs were being shown of the landing. Curiously I also carried my own white life support bag on my back that night. Life support for me meant drink and snacks rather than oxygen, but it was another reason to remember my own giant leap.

Q: How many NASA technicians does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: 10 ... 9 ... 8 ... 7 ...

No comments: