Wednesday 21 February 2007

Chinese ...

I visited Hong Kong in the mid-80's and was fascinated by the place. From the moment you fly in, seemingly squeezing in between skyscrapers, to the transit system to the sheer hustle and bustle. In fact the pace was so hectic that midway through the one week stay I took a day out and went to Lantau Island and chilled out on the beach. Yes, there are beaches.

This was a time before the British handover, so you could take a trip up to the Chinese border and see the Chinese army on the other side of the checkpoint. Amazingly for such a small place there was a huge amount to see. Taking the funicular railway up to the top of Victoria Peak, and looking out across Hong Kong, was a highlight, as was riding the trams, taking the Star Ferry and using the very efficient underground system.

Not so good was a rather dodgy Dim Sum at the Star Ferry terminal. I struggled to find anything on my plate that I could comfortably eat. The Aberdeen floating restaurant was another disappointment. I somehow expected better food than was actually served up. Overall though the place was just vibrant and amazing. One of the world's must see's.

For today's journey from darkness into light, I could have gone with:

Q: How many Chinese does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: Dozens, because Confucious say, "Many hands make light work."

However, I do try an be original here, so my contribution for today is:

Q: How many Chinese does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None, because the man they sent was Tu Lo.

No comments: