Wednesday 14 February 2007

Members of Mensa ...

I've undertaken various tests and exams in my working life, but never one to determine my IQ. Not that I've been particularly bothered. I think I would probably end up with a fair score, but whether it would be high enough to join Mensa is debateable.

I feel it is such a difficult thing to quantify. If you are going to measure anything then it ought to take into account not only your recall of facts and figures and your cognative skills, but also common sense. So many so called academics have the most brilliant mind in their particular field, yet give them an every day, simple task to do and they're lost.

This doesn't just apply to those who teach. We encourage learning and progression to university, and then we fast track these people into key jobs because they have the knowledge. Although this is undoubtedly true, many professionals will tell you that these students are full of theory, and quite often full of themselves, yet useless at grasping common work practices, or handling pressure in the real world.

Knowledge, IQ, degrees. Fine, but let's not forget the school of life.

Q: How many members of Mensa does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None. The bulb isn't bright enough.

No comments: