Thursday 25 January 2007

Psychics ...

I've been watching bits of Colin Fry's show, Sixth Sense, on digital TV and I have to say I'm not convinced at all. I should point out that magic and mentalism are hobbies of mine and I've read textbooks on cold reading techniques that can duplicate what the psychics do, so I approach the subject as a sceptic anyway. It's just the very general guff that comes through from the other side. The fact that the psychic never walks on stage goes to a person in the audience they've never seen before and says, "Hello, Betty. Your Mother sends her love and to tell you her savings bonds are in a box under the floorboards." No, it's, "I'm getting roses around the door. Does that mean anything to anybody."

Hey ho. I always think that as an optimist, generally, when it comes to a rosy afterlife, if there is one, great my optimism rewarded. If it's just eternal nothingness then I'm not going to be disappointed.

Lest we digress too far, another bulb needs changing. Looks like a job for Colin Fry. Even if I have my doubts about him, and others of his ilk, I like the psychic bulb version for the way it turns the joke on its head.

A: One
Q: How many psychics does it take to change a light bulb.

No comments: