Wednesday 31 January 2007

Cluedo suspects ...

It's always been an ambition of mine to write a murder mystery novel. Not just any murder mystery, but the most ingenious murder mystery ever ( has to be a locked room ) with the killer only revealed on the last page. I suppose that's the ambition of every writer in the genre, to create a mystery where all the clues were there from the off but the reader is carefully led up the garden path. In magic terms, classic misdirection.

I want the traditional drawing room finale; the suspects gathered together to hear the detective explain who dunnit, how and why. The initial suspicion pointing at one of the suspects ( who has been involved in some minor indescretions and thus can have plenty of evidence stacked against them ) and then the final devastating revelation. The murderer is revealed and the reader is left to slap their forehead and think why they missed all those obvious clues.

Although my great writing ambition may never be realised, I'll still think about it from time to time. It exercises my little grey cells, and, just possibly, I may have a eureka moment that spurs me to create the greatest murder mystery ever.

Meanwhile, back to lightbulbs, and as I have already featured mystery writers I'll resort to the classic board game instead.

Q: How many Cluedo suspects does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: Colonel Mustard. In the dining room. With the ladder.

No comments: