Saturday 27 January 2007

Folk Singers ...

Back in the 70's, when vinyl was the music delivery system of choice, I was well into the folk/rock genre. I still have several LP's by Steeleye Span and Fairport Convention, combining the traditional folk yarn with electronic wizardry. Not everyone's cup of tea I know but it appealed to me.

It often caused much merriment amongst family and friends because the traditional folk singing stereotype is the bearded individual, wearing a chunky knit sweater, pint in one hand and the other hand cupped over their ear. And that's just the women. I remember taking my wife and sister to see Pentangle at the University Of East Anglia. You could tell they were what might be termed a minor attraction because you could actually sit at a table and enjoy the music, rather than bunched up in a a sweaty mass of humanity at a more popular gig. Anyway having got their Basket Of Light album in my collection I was well into it. As for the two philistines with me, suffice it to say they found it highly amusing and I got constant ribbing for weeks afterwards.

I suppose that's the beauty of music. We all have diverse tastes, and long may it remain thus. So please charge your glasses, cup one hand over your ear and join me for a spot of traditional folk.

Q: How many folk singers does it take to change a light bulb.
A: Just one, but you have to hear the tale first ...

Oh a Frog he did a courtin' go
To call upon Miss Mouse.
But she was a wailin' when
He arrived upon her house.

"Oh kind sir Frog" she cried
"I'm troubled here this night.
For my only bulb has blown,
And I am without the light."

"Fear ye not,Miss Mouse" he said,
And like a soaring rocket
He leaped up upon the nearest chair
To grab the faulty socket.

Alas for Frog the power was on,
Miss Mouse had no time to tell.
Oh the Froggy shone in a shower of sparks
As he bade this world farewell.

Poor Miss Mouse, at first aghast,
Soon overcame her fright.
And served up such a tasty meal
Of frogs legs by candlelight.

No comments: