Wednesday 24 January 2007

Mechanics ...

When it comes down to writing jokes, the lightbulb genre is not unduly difficult, given that there is a standard formula. However, the dilemma facing the writer is do you write lightbulb or light bulb? Looking at dictionaries and encyclopaedias both seem to be acceptable, although I notice the Blogger spell check is underlining lightbulb. Then again it will underline humour because I'm writing in the Queen's English. You say potato, I say potato ... or something like that.

Anyway, to today's offering, which suddenly came to me as I was contemplating my car's annual service and MOT. Sharp stabbing pain in the wallet.

Q: How many mechanics does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: ( Sharp intake of breath ) Difficult to say, mate. That fixture's going to need replacing, the wirings shot, and it’s not your usual type of bulb, I haven’t seen one like that before. Come into the office and I’ll give you an estimate.

No comments: